Why are some women fearless? Who are those women? Why should women be fearless? Mary, the Mother of Jesus on earth is one of them. It is not easy to write afresh about Mary. What revelation is there other than the obvious which every church has taught? The Scripture will show us.
Here is a brief list of spiritual characteristics about Mary, based on the Gospel of Luke (Chapter one).
- She sees, hears and converses with angels without fear. The angel Gabriel was sent to her and spoke to her. She saw him and was “troubled” at his saying but she did not faint and pass out at the phenomena. (1:19)
- She is a thoughtful and careful young woman. she considered what manner of the angel’s greeting was. (1:19)
- She remains calm and rational. After hearing him out she asked question about the practicality of the announcement. She was engaged but had not yet married or had intimate relationship with a man so how could she give birth to a child? She questioned the angel/God’s messenger boldly. (1:34)
- She is spiritual. She knew the angel came from God and the message for her was from God. (1:38, 47)
- She believes those prophetic words about the forthcoming supernatural event. (1:38)
- She accepts her role in this supernatural event. (1:38)
- She believes in the power of God. (1:38)
- She expresses her willingness to undertake her role in God’s divine plan. (1:38)
- She considers it an honor. (1:48)
- She takes immediate action to go to her most trusted social support as led by the Holy Spirit. (1:39-44, 56)
- She is well-versed in the words of God. She believes in the supernatural power of God’s words. (1:46-55)
- She knows and trusts God. (1:45-55)
Can Mary be described as a fearless woman? Yes. She has displayed great boldness and courage in accepting her role in this divine appointment and assignment. What is her secret for success? She is fearless. What makes her fearless?
The answer is in John’s description of God (1 John 4) we know that God is love. God’s love is perfect. Perfect love casts out fear. Mary abides in love –God. God’s love is the divine power that carries her all the way to fulfillment of her role in history. The crucial word “relationship” with God stands out in Mary’s life! She has a close relationship with God and knows God’s true nature.
“Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord.” (Luke 1:45)
How can we apply what we learn today? By the Holy Spirit. “By this we know that we abide in God, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.” (1 John 4:13)
23 July 2018